Aptamil Infant Milks
Aptamil First Infant Milk
Aptamil first infant milk is nutritionally complete whey based formula for bottlefed babies and is suitable from birth.
It contains our patented mix of GOS/FOS Prebiotics –
Prebiotics are naturally found in breastmilk and some fruit and vegetables and work by reducing the level of pathogens in the gut flora and increasing the levels of good bacteria (bifidobacteria).1-3
These friendly bacteria are essential in the protection of the immune system and help to protect against infection.
Recent research has shown that infants fed a formula with GOS/FOS Prebiotics have less chest infections4, diarrhoea4 and atopic dermatitis5
Peer reviewed research done in 2008 published in the Journal of Nutrition showed that the health benefits of GOS/FOS prebiotics can last up to 2 years 6.
Aptamil first infant milk also contains AA, DHA, LCPs and nucleotides to help brain, eyes and nervous system development.
Benefits of Aptamil First for the baby:
- Research has shown that the inclusion of GOS/FOS prebiotics in an infant formula during the first six months of feeding can reduce the incidence of allergic manifestations and infections up to 2 years of age6. GOS/FOS prebiotics consistently encourage the growth of friendly bacteria at the expense of potentially harmful bacteria1-3
- Babies bottlefed a formula containing GOS/FOS prebiotics also have softer stools2
- LCPs are important in the development of a baby’s brain, cognitive behaviour and vision.7-10
- Bottlefed babies who are fed nucleotides have an improved antibody response compared to those not receiving nucleotides.10,11
Aptamil Comfort Milk
For the dietary management of colic and constipation
Aptamil Comfort formula contains partially hydrolysed whey proteins to make digestion easier, and is thicker than standard formula to help prevent a baby taking in too much air.
For immature digestive systems, lactose can be difficult to digest therefore Aptamil Comfort contains less than half the lactose of standard infant milks. To aid the absorption of fat and calcium and to produce softer stools1, a special fat blend has been used, which contains a higher proportion of palmitic acid in the beta position than appears in standard infant formula. Aptamil Comfort also contains our patented mix of GOS/FOS Prebiotics. Prebiotics are naturally found in breastmilk and have been shown to increase the growth of friendly bacteria such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilli and decrease the numbers of potentially pathogenic bacteria.2-4 These friendly bacteria are an integral part of a baby’s natural immune system – the methods that the body uses to protect itself, for example against infection. They also help to soften stools.3
Babies fed a formula containing our unique blend of GOS/FOS Prebiotics in the first 6 months of life, experienced a significantly reduced incidence of allergic symptoms, infections and antibiotic use over the next 2 years.5*
*In Infants at risk of atopy fed a hydrolysed formula
· Reduces crying episodes in babies suffering from colic6,7
· Reduces regurgitation6
· Promotes softer stools and increases defecation frequency6,8
Aptamil Hungry Milk
Aptamil Hungry milk is a casein dominant milk suitable for hungrier babies from birth to 12 months.
Casein based protein is more slowly digested than whey based protein resulting in slower gastric emptying. This means that a baby will feel fuller for longer and helps satisfy hungrier babies.
Aptamil hungry milk contains our unqie blend of GOS/FOS prebiotics which work by decreasing the presence of pathogens in the gut flora and increasing the growth of friendly bacteria (bifidobacteria).
Aptamil Hungry also contains LCPs and nucleotides for healthy growth and development.
When to move onto Aptamil hungry milk?
1. Increase frequency and volume of the whey based formula12 e.g. Aptamil first infant milk
2. If the infant still appears hungry it is preferable to move them onto a casein based formula e.g Aptamil Hungry Milk rather than risk the infant moving onto solids too early.
3. By introducing a casein based milk like Aptamil Hungry Milk it may alleviate the early introduction of solids.
Aptamil Follow On Milk
Aptamil follow on milk is suitable for babies from 6 months of age to complement a weaning diet. It is fortified with extra iron and Vitamin D and is designed to form part of a varied diet.
At around 6 months of age a baby’s iron store runs low and their need for iron increases. Therefore, Aptamil Follow On milk has been specifically designed to provide higher levels of iron than first milks and cows’ milk.
Aptamil Follow On milk contains our patented mix of GOS/FOS prebiotics. Prebiotics are found naturally in breastmilk and some fruit and vegetables. They work by decreasing the number of pathogens in the gut flora and increasing the growth of friendly bacteria such as bifidobacteria which are an integral part of the baby’s immune system.1-3
Additional to GOS/FOS prebiotics and extra iron Aptamil Follow On Milk contains nucleotides and LCPs. Research has shown that infants fed nucleotides have an improved antibody response compared to those not receiving nucleotides.11,13
LCPs are essential for healthy growth and development and studies have shown that infants given a formula with LCPs have enhanced visual development and improved problem-solving skillsc compared to those fed a formula without LCPs7-9.
- 1. Knol J et al. Colon microflora in infants fed formula with galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides: more like breast-fed infants. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2005; 40: 36-42.
- Moro G et al. Dosage-related bifidogenic effects of galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides in formula-fed term infants. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2002;34(3):291-5.
- Costalos C et al. The effect of a prebiotic supplemented formula on growth and stool microbiology of term infants. Early Hum Dev 2008; 84: 45-49.
- Bruzzese E et al. A formula containing galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides prevents intestinal and extra-intestinal infections: an observational study . Clin Nutr 2009; 28(2): 156-61
- Moro G et al. A mixture of prebiotic oligosaccharides reduces the incidence of atopic dermatitis during the first six months of age. Arch Dis Child 2006;91:814-9 than those infants fed a formula without Prebiotic Oligsaccharides
- Arslanoglu S et al. Early dietary intervention with a mixture of prebiotic oligosaccharides reduces the incidence of allergic manifestations and infections during the first two years of life. J Nutr 2008; 138: 1091-5.
- Willatts P et al. Effect of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in infant formula on problem solving at 10 months of age. Lancet 1998;352(9129):688-91.
- Birch EE et al. Visual acuity and the essentiality of docosahexaenoic acid and arachidonic acid in the diet of term infants. Paediatr Res 1998;44(2):201-9.
- San Giovanni JP et al. Dietary essential fatty acids, long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, and visual resolution acuity in healthy fullterm infants: a systematic review. Early Hum Dev 2000;57(3):165-88.
- Clandinin MT et al. Requirements of newborn infants for long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Acta Paediatr Scand 1989; Suppl 351:63-71.
- Martinez-Augustin O et al. Dietary nucleotides might influence the humoral immune response against cow's milk proteins in preterm neonates. Biol Neonate 1997;71(4):215-23.
- Bleakney G, Infant Feeding Guidelines. Department of public health, Medicine and Nursing. EHSSB March 2006.
- Pickering LK et al. Modulation of the immune system by human milk and infant formula containing nucleotides. Pediatrics 1998;101(2):242-9
What healthcare professionals are asking us...